Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Organizing Your Closet




It's the best time of the year to start fresh and new in your closet, it's 2017 and time to get the most out of your wardrobe.

During the DeKalb County Free Fall Fair I was open by appointment only, which meant I had a whole week off work! Now as a small business owner that never happens, the only time you have off work is when you have other obligations. So during the fair I decided I was not going to make any plans and work on organizing my home (which was in scary disorder due to working all the time).

One of my rooms that is consistently needing picked up is my closet. Somehow clothing never ends up back on its hanger or in a drawer or single socks everywhere or winter hats & gloves are just everywhere {not sure how this happens}

When organizing my closet I have a few key things I like to do that ensures I get the most out of all of my clothing and accessories.

1. Separate 

  • Separate all of your suits or matching tops and bottoms
  • DO NOT hang any matching tops and bottoms or suits together 

2. Areas - Your closet should be divided into 4 general areas 

  • Dresses
  • Pants
  • Tops 
  • Skirts

3. Color

  • Organizing your hanging clothing in ROY-G-BIV (rainbow) order with your brown, blacks and whites to follow. 
  • Within your colors put your clothing from jackets/sweaters to long sleeve to sleeveless shirts
    • Black blazer, black cardigan, long sleeve black blouses and Ts, short sleeve black T and black camisoles.
4.Accessories - Hats, Belts, Scarves, Jewelry, Handbags
  • Accessories should be hung away from your clothing. 
  • Its easiest to display your accessories and not have them in drawers...you need to be able to see what you have.
  • Get creative with your accessory displays check out my Pinterest
    • http://www.pinterest.com/lynmarees/organizing-diy/
  • The better you can see what you have, the better you will be at utilizing your accessories to create new fun outfits 
5. Label 
  • When putting anything into baskets, boxes, drawers that may not get used a tone...LABEL 
  • When you know what you have and where it belongs, you will save yourself heart ache and money
6. Donate & Trash  (No garage sale pile...you'll never have one & end up donating the clothing anyways)
  • Has it been more than a year since you wore it?
  • Are you waiting to loose weight to wear it?
  • Has it seen its day?
  • Has is been over washed and over worn?
  • Is it balling/pilling or have a stain?
  • Does it have a hole your planning on fixing? Or missing button?
    • If you said YES to ANY of those questions it's time to let it go...trust me you will be happy in the long run you did. 
Below you can see my before(left) and after(right) photos of my closet...it was a disaster and not quite perfect yet but it will be someday
Good luck and have fun! 
I know starting my day off in an organized and clean closet helps me start my day off much happier! Hope it does you as well.



Displaying photo.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment